Over 100 years ago, communities across the nation donated their pennies to help build a spectacular monument to President McKinley. That monument is located on McKinley Monument Drive Northwest. this 26-acre national landmark is dedicated to the 25th president William McKinley, who is entombed there along with his wife and two children. The patio of the monument provides a fine view of downtown Canton.
The McKinley Monument is the final resting place for the 25th President of the United States, William McKinley. Residents of Canton pass by the Monument or run up and down the 108 steps everyday or run the quarter mile around the double drive stretching out in front of the memorial. Traveling on Interstate 77, the Monument towers above the trees. But some may wonder: Why is such a magnificent building in Canton? The answer is quite simple. William McKinley was and is Canton’s favorite son. While the President was born in Niles, Ohio, he called Canton home. After his death, it was fitting that the President be laid to rest in the city where his career began, the place where he found his true love and ran for the highest office in the land.
On September 16, 1901 the funeral train left Buffalo, New York for Washington, D.C. Following services at the United States Capitol, the President’s body was placed back on the train for his final trip to Canton. On September 19 President McKinley’s body was interred at the Werts Receiving Vault in Canton’s West Lawn Cemetery.
After memorial services, several of the President’s closest advisors met to discuss the location of a proper memorial to serve as a final resting place. The site chosen was often visited by McKinley. At one time, he had suggested that a monument to soldiers and sailors from Stark County be placed at the site.
On September 26, 1901 the McKinley National Memorial Association was formed and President Theodore Roosevelt named the original Board of Trustees. The first order of business was to purchase the site, owned at the time by the West Lawn Cemetery. By October 10, the Association issued a public appeal for $600,000 in contributions for the construction project. Ohio Governor George K. Nash supported the effort by proclaiming McKinley’s birthday in 1902 a special day of observance by the state’s schools. Large numbers of school children contributed to the memorial fund, and the Association was able to purchase the proposed site.
Construction of the memorial began on June 6, 1905 when Mr. Magonigle removed the first shovel of soil from the site. By November 16 the cornerstone was laid in an official ceremony attended by Mrs. McKinley and other family members.
The interior dome measures 50' in diameter and 77' from the floor to the highest point. At the top of the dome is a red, white and blue skylight. The skylight has 45 stars in its design representing the 45 states in the Union at the time of President McKinley’s death. The skylight was part of the original design, but for some reason was never installed. There was a clear glass skylight in its place. Using Magonigle’s plans, and the Canton glass specialists White Associates, the 12' diameter skylight was installed during a restoration project in 1976.
By September 1907 the Monument and the 26 acres surrounding it were finished. Nine states had contributed material for the memorial. Ohio supplied the concrete, all of the brick, and much of the labor. Massachusetts provided the exterior granite and Tennessee the marble walls and pedestal and part of the marble floor. New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Wisconsin, Illinois and Rhode Island also contributed material for the project.
After the dedication the McKinley National Memorial Association continued to administer the site. Eventually, it became difficult for the Association to maintain the structure and the grounds. In early 1941 the federal government was approached about taking over the site. With war underway in Europe, it was clear that the United States might become involved and the government did not want to take on additional financial responsibilities. In 1943, the property was transferred to the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, today known as the Ohio Historical Society. In 1951 on the 50th anniversary of McKinley’s death the memorial was rededicated by the state.
The memorial returned to local control in 1973 when the property was transferred to the Stark County Historical Society, owners and operators of the William McKinley Presidential Library & Museum. In 1975, the pink Milford gtranite structure was designated a National Historic Landmark.
On September 29, 1992, after years of restoration work and enhancement of the grounds, the McKinley National Memorial was rededicated yet again. This rededication recognized the partnership undertaken by the Federal Government, local foundations and private citizens to honor the memory of President William McKinley.
First Lady, Ida Saxton McKinley and their two daughters are also buried here.
William McKinley Presidential Libary and Museum
The Presidential Library is also located on the grounds.
800 McKinley Monument Drive NW
Canton, OH 44708
Hours:9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. Monday-Saturday
12:00 Noon to 5:00p.m. Sunday
Adult - $7
Sr. Adult - $6 (age 60 and above)
children - $5 (children under age three are free)