Southwest Ohio Tourism
Support our advertisers

Buck Creek State Park

US Army Corps of Engineers started the Buck Creek flood control project in 1966. In 1974, the Clarence J. Brown, Sr. Dam and Reservoir were dedicated and an agreement gave the Ohio Department of Natural Resources the operation of much of the area. Buck Creek State Park was officially opened in June 1975.

The natural features of Buck Creek State Park can be attributed to the effects of glaciers which receded from Ohio over 10,000 years ago. Low hills called moraines can be seen in the area where glaciers halted for extended periods of time and left deposits of gravel and sand. Old river valleys were filled by these deposits where numerous springs now well up through the sand and gravel. The nearby city of Springfield is named for the many springs seeping up from the broad meadows. The springs account for the many bogs and fens in Clark and Champaign counties of which Cedar Bog is probably the best known.

Buck Creek Trails

  • More than 7.5 miles of hiking trails offer opportunities for nature study, bird watching and other wildlife observation.

  • A scenic 7.5-mile bridle trail is also open to snowmobiling, weather permitting.

Camping & Boating

  • 89 electric sites and 26 family cottages situated in a wooded area

  • 22 non-electric sites

  • Campground facilities include showers, flush toilets and dump station

  • Campers with pets may camp on designated sites

  • Boat camping is permitted in designated areas

  • Bike rentals are offered at the camp office, and the campground offers many activities to campers, including a camper's beach

  • Boating with unlimited horsepower is permitted on the 2,120-acre lake.

  • A four-lane launch ramp provides access to the lake.

  • A marina provides fuel, snack bar, bait shop and seasonal dock rental.

Download Buck Creek State Park Map >>


Buck Creek State Park

1901 Buck Creek Lane
Springfield, OH 45502


Clarence J. Brown, Sr.

C.J. Brown, Sr., for whom the lake was named, was born in Clinton County, Ohio on July 14, 1895. In 1916 he became State Statistician of Ohio and publisher of several county newspapers as President of Brown Publishing Company. From 1919-1923 he served as lieutenant governor of Ohio, Secretary of State of Ohio, 1927-1933; and was a Republican nominee for Governor in 1934. He served in the U.S. House of Representatives from January 3, 1939 until his death in August 1965. Tribute came from his Democratic and Republican colleagues following his death when a bi-partisan resolution was passed in the House of Representatives naming the reservoir in his memory.